So … basically, since my cross-pollination project turned out to be a dud, I’ve decided to forego that for now and just focus on making sure the plants I have do well. As you know I re-potted most of my African Violets about a month and a half ago (although I wrote about it on 21 January), well, I decided to re-pot some of them again today. I thought it was a good idea early this morning, on hindsight, I may have uprooted them too soon. I can’t do anything about that now, can I? I guess just have to wait and see if putting them into bigger pots did them more harm than good. Time will tell.

Anyway, here are the before and after photos … just because. 🙂


Transferred “Selena” into a bigger pot because it looked like her leaves were getting squished up in the pink one.

Competition Plant

Yes, Competition Plant has started to grow flowers – and more leaves – and that’s the reason why I transferred it from a smallish, black plastic pot to where “Selena” (plant above) used to be. Again, hoping it doesn’t get too much root shock.

Cheat Plants

My two “cheat plants” have grown significantly as well. They didn’t look particularly happy in the shallow rectangular pot that once was their home. I’m hoping they take to the round containers they are now in.

Destiny's Child

My “Survivor” plant looked like it needed more space too, so I moved it from the itty-bitty square-shaped container to a bigger round-shaped one. It’s started to grow flowers too! So I’m hoping it doesn’t wither up and die.

new growths

I also have new growths! I’m going to have a crinkly-leafed one, and another African Violet (i think it would be one with white flowers, I forget, I just nicked leaves and put them in potting mix) soon!

Last ones

Since I’m running out kitchen window sill space, these two pots pictured above will be the last ones I’ll grow from leaves.

The first one are leaves from 2 different plants. Two of those leaves were from a plant that grows pink flowers with a white border / fringes on the outer petals, the other is from a plant that grows purple flowers with a white fringe / border on the outer petals.

The second image are leaves from 3 different plants. The light green ones are from an African Violet that grows pristine white flowers, one of the darker leaves is from a plant that grows purple flowers, and the other is from a plant that has pink flowers.

What I’m hoping to achieve is to grow two (or three) different varieties in one pot so that when they bloom, I’d have a lovely plant that has different flowers. Not sure if that will work, but I’m crossing my fingers. It’s not exactly cross-pollination, but it’s still something.

I’ll find out in about a month if the plants have rooted successfully, and will wait another month or two for the leaves to start sprouting out. Then, another 16 months after that to see if the plants will bear flowers.

So, I guess, you’ll see an update in 18 months! (hahaha)


Author: Viv Phillips

That's not exactly a flattering image. Eh! Anyway, when I'm not taking photos, I do acrylic painting or write about my adventures (and misadventures) in this wonderful journey called life. :)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s